Recommended Reading

Now Reading

Soon To Be Reading

Discs I'm Spinning

Friday, March 31, 2006

You can take the boy out of sports ... but not sports out of the boy ...

Growing up in Tuttle carries with it the expectation to play sports. Late summer and fall Saturday nights find many parents watching their young boys playing football under the lights at Bill Hinkle Field. Each aspires to play for the Tuttle Tigers. Beginning Friday nights in September the stadium is full of eager young boys longing for the day when they may take the field as they watch the Varsity Tigers take the field.

Football is not the only sport in Tuttle. Boys baseball and wrestling get good billing with basketball not far behind. Girls softball enjoys a great deal of success and there are always hopes for a solid girls basketball team.

Lyle played for the Tigers. He enjoyed attending the games. We took in most home games this past season sitting on the 50 yard line. Craig, and sometimes Kimberly joined us. When Lyle had to be at the "Station" he would call to get the score. We enjoyed watching the Tigers win the Class 3A State Championship this past December. On the way home we talked about Zack Mincy's running that night - it was special to get to see.

This week when the news about Kelvin Sampson taking the job at Indiana came out I was reminded of a number of conversations over the past few months. Lyle would talk with a sense of frustration as we followed the Sooners Men's Basketball team. I remember Lyle saying he should have turned the game off as the Sooners would drop a game we thought they sh0ould have won. It would be eespecially intense if they were winning until he turned on the game only to watch them lose. The Sooners were his "team."

Many parents relive their sports careers through their children. Lyle did not seem to do so. Nathan's decision to quit playing football and focus on basketball and his choice to play golf rather than baseball only meant Lyle would alter what sport he watched his son play. We often talked about the undue pressure placed on young people to succeed at sports. Many a parent believes their child a sure future "Hall of Fame" candidate if they were just given the chance. Today we would do well to encourage our children in their pursuits rather than push them to pursue what we want/did. Sports offers a great number of life learning experiences. Long after downs are played and innings finished these lessons linger.

We coud adapt an old saying which is true on a number of levels - You can take the boy (or man) out of sports but you cannot take sports out of the boy (man).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember thinking that Lyle was a quite guy. I really thought that at first that is. Craig and I had gotten tickets from dad to the basketball games and Lyle and Evette had the seats next to us. Evette and I were talking (we rarely paid any attention to the girls) then out of no where Lyle is yelling. I was so shocked to hear him yelling, but once I got to know him better I learned that Lyle is anything but quite!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've, been thinking, (which is a dangerous thing for me,) we can read and write about the SBC, IMB and all the rest, but when it comes down to it, in the end all that counts is a life well lived for the Lord. I know it was said on Sunday, March 12, 2006, "Well done thou good and faithful servant, as the Lord welcomed Lyle home. Wonder what I need to be spending my time being and doing?? Thanks Todd, for what you are doing for the "Divine Conspirator!!"

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What a person Lyle is. Him and Evette, along with my dear friend Natalie and of course Nathan, were so wonderful to so many people. They all helped me and so many become closer with the Lord. I remember one night I was over at their house with my daughter Madison and OU was playing. Evette, Natalie, and I were playing a very "important" game of dominoes and Madison was trying to take all of the dominoes. We kept calling Lyle and Nathan to come and get her. They were so abliged to babysit her while we played such an important game. Madison was tackling Lyle and Nathan (Yes, my husband has taught her how to play football, the center position to be exact) and was also putting necklaces and earrings on them. To see such a big and tough man wear earrings while watching OU was so funny. My favorite memory of Lyle was one of Madison's first visits to the Burris residence. Lyle was in his office on the computer, being very quiet. My very shy Madison walked in there and crawled on his lap and just sat there. She wouldn't go around Natalie, Evette, or Nathan, but she would sit on his lap. I guess, some how, she knew how wonderful he was, what kind of man he was, and what a great father he was. He, along with Evette, of course, did such an outstanding job with Nathan and Natalie. How lucky are those two kids? They are the family to model. I am very proud to know that family. Thank you to Natalie, Nathan, and sweet Evette.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home